...And somethin' about it just kept bothering me. After I ran it by one of my coworkers I realized JC's pose was too passive & static, his sword wasn't helping his silhouette, he was too centered, his anatomy just wasn't going to resolve, and his pose was too similar to the Thark's. To help illustrate:
Only one thing to be done for it -- Total teardown! The original drawing was drawn/painted over with an all-new pose...
By the time I had to go home I'd found a way to have nearly the same pose, but facing the viewer.
There's still a lot about the pose that I need to resolve before I really get into detail, and of course now I'll need to paint in everything behind him -- But ultimately it should end up as a better starting point than the first. Sometimes when you've hit a wall, the wisest solution to a problem is to scrap it and start over -- And the next time, addressing the new ideas you've had since.
Now, to put the piece to bed again until after Wizard World :\ Remember -- I'll be drawing there all weekend, whether at the Powerhouse Animation booth or my own or at the Digital Painting instruction-panel on Sunday! Hope to see you there!